Friday, May 2, 2008

Another Birthday

My fabulous cooking partner has added a one to the one's digit in the age column. As predicted, I did not reciprocate in kind by cooking up a fabulous meal; I did however, reciprocate by taking half the day off because (as the Suburban Hausfrau can attest) the ridiculous increase in my drive time this week left me no time for gift shopping or cake buying. So nice to have time off on someone else's big day!

I visited the new Cabela's in Hoffman Estates in search of the perfect fish finder, which I did find along with a few bits of tackle. I've not much to say about the store as I was not in browsing mode (which I tend to refer to as the grazing mode for shopping--as opposed to hunt and kill mode). Then I went to the local overpriced grocer and found the perfect cake. The celebrant prefers yellow cake with chocolate frosting, and, because I was actually in a supermarket during normal hours--you know, when there are people working the baked goods counter--I was able to have the cake inscribed. A very successful shopping trip for someone who usually avoids shopping.

For dinner, we went to the Outback, or, in contemporary parlance, we went Outback last night. Is it just me, or is it the smoking ban: the place was dead! Walk right in, sit ri-ight down. I must confess that since the statewide smoking ban took effect, we haven't gone out much. Maybe Outback has just had a precipitous drop in popularity. Or maybe it's the gas prices keeping people at home. I do hope it's the smoking ban.

No comments: