Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Speaking of Rice...

Oh, sure. Just when I turn to rice and beans (see last post) to help restore my nearly depleted cushion against bench time, speculators send U.S. rice futures to an all time high.

Maybe if the gummint weren't paying farmers to keep their land fallow, speculators wouldn't have so much control over the price of food, hmmmm?

Please excuse me while I go eat a bowl of wheat flour. Thanks, Uncle Sam.

Let's all boycott rice in July. Eat potatoes, pasta, bread--glorious breads--and other alternative starches. Rice? Just don't buy it; let the speculators eat it this time.

(I should say that I believe in a free market and do not feel that market speculation is evil--not by a long shot. But, first, when the government intervenes as they have in farming, it's not a free market; second, speculators are gambling, taking a risk; no reason I can't play the game from my end and vote with my dollars.)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I wonder if it's my fault. My non-rice-buying self recently bought another one of those "microwave in the bag" things, and a bag of frozen white and brown rice that can also be tossed in the microwave. It's the first time we've had non-Spanish rice in the house in quite awhile.... and I know it'll be enough to see me thru any rice shortages!