Monday, February 25, 2008

Don Quixote

Anyone else reading Don Quixote? I finished the first read a few weeks ago and need a discussion partner or group. Poking around online is yielding only past discussion groups and groups that seem somewhat inactive. In particular, I could use some help with metaphorical analysis. I must admit that my reaction to much of what I have seen on this subject is "Hey, you're reading way too much into this. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar." Still, this skill is so lacking in me that I would appreciate any advice given to a beginner for broaching the subject. Baby steps.

I'd also like your thoughts on how much metaphorical reference an author consciously builds into literature as compared to what is inferred afterwards simply because the author is writing about real (or at least lifelike) people.

In an effort to gain the education that my school systems failed to provide when I was a child, I've taken it upon myself to read, really read, some of the classics, using The Well-Educated Mind as a guide. It will undoubtedly take the rest of my life and then some to complete the recommended book list. Still, I can't start any sooner, can I?

No comments: