Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Ah, the Summer Tomato

Fleshy and juicy, firm yet tender, sweet with a little acidity, the vine ripened tomato is the quintessential contrapunctal delicacy. This is the fruit I dream about wistfully when the winter wind blows and the grocers offer only the sour, hard, boxy third cousins of the voluptuous red orbs that now await me in my garden. This is summer.

Last night I used them in this tuna salad. The dressing goes underneath the tomatoes: they taste good enough by themselves.


Served up with a bit of dill garlic bread (sounds awful, tastes weird by itself, but goes with the tuna) it was nothing special, really, but it sure tasted good.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow... that is pretty. Um, I never plate up anything like that. Lance doesn't much notice plating.

That Word Guy said...

Don't do it for Lance; do it for yourself. I did this stuff when I lived alone...not that I do it every night, mind.